DARTMOUTH PLACE – RANELAGH AREA OF DUBLIN
This is near Dartmouth Square.
Dartmouth Square Park is a significant historical park dating from the late Victorian/early Edwardian period. The square was originally part of the Darley Estate.
The park was developed as part of the terraces surrounding it and intended for the sole use of residents on the square. However, in 1926, it was leased and used by Loreto Hockey Club as a hockey pitch for past pupils only and then later for current pupils of Loreto College, St. Stephen’s Green. Hockey continued to be played there until the 1950’s.
In 1987 the residents’ association approached the Lord Mayor, Mrs Carmencita Hederman (Lord Mayor 1987-1988) for help to redevelop the park. Thanks to her intervention the City Manager, Mr Frank Feely and his office became involved with the local community.
The park became one of many ‘Dublin Millennium’ year projects in 1988. New designs and planting schemes were implemented to restore the park to a formal Victorian layout. An impressive new pergola was erected, its pillars modelled on the granite and brick detailing of the adjoining residential terraces.