BRAEMOR PARK IN CHURCHTOWN
The Mount Carmel Nursing home is located at Braemor Park. The former private maternity hospital in Churchtown, south Dublin, which was purchased by the HSE for €11m, has been redeveloped to provide a range of short-stay, traditional care, assessment and rehabilitation beds.
The former Fetherstonhaugh Hall building is now The Church of Ireland Theological Institute (formerly the Church of Ireland Theological College) and is a landmark building at Braemor Park.
The Church of Ireland Theological Institute is responsible for ministerial formation and lay training within the Church of Ireland. It is located at Braemor Park.
Traditionally Church of Ireland clergy were trained for the priesthood by attending Trinity College Dublin, studying at the divinity school. In 1873, following the Irish University Bill, Trinity officially became a non-denominational university. While most Penal Laws had by that time been abolished, and the Church of Ireland had been disestablished in 1871, nevertheless, the University Bill continued the practice of anti-Catholicism in requiring professors of theology to be Anglicans. In 1911 an arrangement was formalised by which the House of Bishops and the college board governed the divinity school. In 1913 the “Divinity Hostel” was set up in two buildings in Mountjoy Square, Dublin.
In 1969, the Church of Ireland Library was moved to the site of the Divinity Hostel, a number of other archives of Church of Ireland organisations are held here.
Over the years as the Church of Ireland bishops’ presence in the governance of Trinity diminished (where before 1980 as members of the board of the divinity school, the bishops could nominated the professors of theology), the divinity school at Trinity has been effectively replaced by the non-denominational School of Religious Studies and Theology.
In 1980 the Church of Ireland Theological College was set up in the Divinity Hostel, which had moved to Rathgar in 1964. In 2007 Church of Ireland clerical training was reconstituted into the current institute.
Following a report commissioned by the bishops and proposals to the synod (which were accepted), the institute was formed in 2007 out of the Church of Ireland Theological College to modernize the training of Church of Ireland clergy and other people for lay ministry. The Revd Maurice Elliot was appointed the director of the institute succeeding Rev Dr Adrian Empey who was principal of the college from 2001. Rev. James Hartin served as principal from 1980 to 1989 and Rev. Canon Professor John R Bartlet had served as principal from 1989 until 2001.