BACK LANE NEAR CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL – ONCE THE HOME OF THE BACK LANE PARLIAMENT
A friend of mine described Back Lane as just another ugly backstreet but it features buildings of interest such as Tailors’ Hall, after 300 years, the oldest surviving Guild Hall in Dublin.
The building It is protected under Section 12 of the National Monuments (Amendment) Act, 1994 and is a designated Heritage site under the Heritage Act 1995.
Building began in the first decade of the eighteenth century. It is of considerable architectural and historical interest. It had a variety of different uses, including a meeting place for the Tailors’ Guild and other Guilds, it was used for entertainment, teaching, as an army barracks and a court house.
Tailors’ Hall is best known for the series of important meetings held there in 1792 organised by the Catholic committee. These came to be known as The Back Lane Parliament.
Another building is Mother Redcaps, a pub, which dates back to 1769 and Mother Redcaps 18th century market on which contains one of the last remaining section of the old walls of Dublin city.