FOSTER PLACE OFF DAME STREET
The street is named after John Foster.
Foster Place was opened in the late eighteenth century, replacing a narrow thoroughfare called Turn Stile Alley. Its short length contains a number of significant buildings including the former Parliament House, Daly’s Clubhouse and the former armoury. This pair of houses is attributed to Francis Johnston and was built for the Bank of Ireland, possibly for domestic use. By the mid-nineteenth century they were in use as solicitor’s offices, like many of the neighbouring buildings in this enclave. The modesty of the unadorned upper walls is contrasted by the well-executed ashlar granite arcaded ground floor, which manifests skilled artisanship. The streetscape is enhanced by the retention of granite paving and stone setts, which contribute to the overall heritage value of the composition.
John Foster, 1st Baron Oriel (1740 – 23 August 1828) was an Irish peer and politician, who served as Chancellor of the Exchequer of Ireland and as the last Speaker of the Irish House of Commons.
Foster was returned in 1801 to the new United Kingdom parliament as a member for County Louth, and from 1804 to 1806 was Irish Chancellor of the Exchequer under Pitt. From 1807 to 1813 he was second Commissioner in the Irish Treasury and from 1807 to 1812 one of the Lord Commissioners of the UK Treasury.
In 1821 he was created a peer of the United Kingdom as Baron Oriel, of Ferrard, in the County of Louth, and died on 23 August 1828.