STRANMILLIS ROAD AREA OF BELFAST
This is basically a collection of random images that did not address specific topics such as the new pedestrian bridge across the Lagan, the Sweet Waters Arch sculpture or other locations or items of specific interest.
Stranmillis (from Irish an Sruthán Milis) is an area in south Belfast, Northern Ireland. As part of the Queen’s Quarter, it is the location for prominent attractions such as the Ulster Museum and Botanic Gardens. The area is located on Stranmillis Road, with Malone Road to the west and the River Lagan to the east. Its name, meaning “the sweet stream” in Irish, refers to the Lagan, whose waters are still fresh at this point, before becoming brackish as the river flows onward toward its mouth in Belfast Lough.
Stranmillis Road begins at the junction of University Road, Malone Road and College Gardens, heading uphill and southwards past Friar’s Bush Graveyard and a small shopping district, before descending towards the River Lagan. The route then swings to the west around the outside of Stranmillis College and uphill again, before rejoining the Malone Road. The north end of Stranmillis Road contains many shops and restaurants, while the south end of the road is mainly housing.
Stranmillis University College is located at the midway point of the road. Established as a teaching college in 1922, it is now a constituent college of Queen’s University.
The Stranmillis Embankment along the Lagan marks the eastern edge of the Stranmillis area. A towpath runs from here along the river, south to the city of Lisburn and north as far as Jordanstown.[ On Lockview Road where Stranmillis meets the river, a number of boating organisations including Queen’s University Belfast Boat Club have access to the water.
You must be logged in to post a comment.