THE NINE ARCHES BRIDGE AND OLD CHIMNEY IN MILLTOWN
Milltown is marked by a spectacular 19th-century railway bridge across the river, which was part of the Harcourt Street railway line which ran from Harcourt Street to Bray. On 30 June 2004, the bridge was re-opened for the Luas light rail system which runs from St. Stephen’s Green to Bride’s Glen. This bridge, and sometimes the area immediately surrounding it, became known informally as the ‘Nine Arches’. Milltown railway station opened on 1 May 1860 and finally closed on 31 December 1958.
The Shanagarry Chimney in Milltown is the last remaining structure of an Old Dublin Laundry. It stands, 28.6m tall beside the Nine Arches viaduct. It is now a communications mast generating a revenue €13,880 a year and it was sold at auction in 2018 for €136,000.
Milltown is a suburb on the south-side of Dublin, Ireland. The townland got its name well before the 18th or 19th century. Both Milltown and Clonskeagh were “Liberties” of Dublin, following the English invasion and colonisation in 1290. Milltown was the site of several working mills on the River Dodder and is also the location of the meeting of the River Slang with the Dodder.