Police barracks built for the Dublin Metropolitan Police, replacing the former barracks on College Street. Commissioned in 1910, it was built to designs by the Office of Public Works under the supervision of M.J. Burke, with H.G. Leask and A. Robinson as job architects. Built in a Scottish Baronial style, evident in the gables and mullioned windows. The bow end to College and D’Olier Street reflects the design of the original terrace and of the bow-ended buildings opposite. The carved figurative stops articulate the separate entrances, one for Inspectors who used the officer’s entrance, and the other for rank-and-file constables who used the main public entrance. The well-executed rock-faced stone is an example of the fine craftsmanship of the stone masons at Ballybrew granite quarry, Co. Wicklow, creating a stoic, sombre impression. Following the DMP’s amalgamation with An Garda Síochána in 1926, Pearse Street Station became headquarters of the ‘B’ District. The building is an attractive termination to the west end of Pearse Street and an historic landmark in Dublin’s streetscape.