ST GABRIELS NATIONAL SCHOOL – COWPER STREET STONEYBATTER
Cowper Street was laid out c.1890 and developed by the Dublin Artisan Dwelling Company, who arranged the streets and cul-de-sacs west of Aughrim Street.
In 1894, Father Burke bought a site from the D.A.D.Co. and Lady Mount Temple on the south side of Cowper Street, and there built schools for boys and girls and two infant schools at a cost of £8,000. The schools were designed by Walter Glynn Doolin, assisted by R.M. Butler, and were opened in 1895.
Saint Gabriel’s school is of social significance to the local community who attended the school, and is also of architectural and technical interest, with red brick and terracotta ornament.