I have made a few attempts to get close enough to photograph this building but every time the gates were locked and today was no different. I had a small camera so was able to photograph through the railings but I was very much constrained.
When the New Library on the Trinity Campus was completed in 1967 the west side of the complex faced – across Fellows’ Garden – a small building of Portland stone in the style of a classical Grecian Doric temple. This building was the Magnetic Observatory, and was built in 1837 by the architect Frederick Darley for the purposes of conducting experiments in magnetic research.
All the materials used in its construction had to be devoid of magnetic influence, and so, copper, brass and gun-metal were substituted for iron. Lloyd’s son Humphrey was Professor of Natural and Experimental Philosophy at the time, and the building was his laboratory. One of Lloyd’s particular interests was geomagnetism, and he, with the astronomer Edward Sabine, established a global network of magnetic observatories. Together they were the first to confirm the link between solar activity and magnetic disturbances here on Earth.
At the time of its construction the Observatory stood in what was then the garden of the Provost’s House. Thirty years later – in 1867 – Humphrey himself became Provost of Trinity, and lived in that house until his death in 1881. An earlier post referred to the then Taoiseach Eamon de Valera formally opening the Magnetic Observatory as a manuscripts room in 1957, the building having been used as a map store since 1912.
From the completion of the New Library in 1967 until 1971, when the Observatory was removed to make room for the construction of the new Arts and Social Science Building, Fellows’ Garden was bounded on three sides by Library buildings – the New Library, the Old Library, and the Manuscripts Room and 1937 Reading Room.
Soon after its dismantling the Magnetic Observatory was gifted by TCD to University College Dublin, and it was rebuilt, stone by stone, on the Belfield campus between 1974 and 1975. After a refurbishment in 2003 which saw the building converted into a cinema, it now houses the Frank O’Kane Film Centre.
Optimum Magnification: Our telescope for kids and adults is quipped with two replaceable excellent-quality eyepieces (25mm and 10mm) for 24X and 60X magnification. 3x Barlow lens trebles the magnifying power of each eyepiece. magnificate moon up to 72 or 180 times. Also with 5×24 finder scope makes locating objects easy.
Portable And Convenient: Comes with a phone adapter and an adjustable aluminum tripod. Wireless remote control and carrying bag make it easier for you portable and capture amazing images.
Easy To Set Up: In order to save your time. Even for novices, no tools are required to set up the telescope. quick and easy to focus. Truly realize a no-tool-set telescope.
Satisfaction Quality: lifetime maintenance. If you have any questions about the product and service, please feel free to contact us, we will do our best to help you in 24 hours!
Saint Malachy’s Church is a Catholic Church in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It is located in Alfred Street, a short distance from Belfast City Hall , though it precedes that building by over 60 years. The Church is the focal point of the local parish community, also Saint Malachy’s, one of the 88 parishes in the Diocese of Down and Connor. It is third oldest Catholic Church in the city of Belfast.
In the beginning Saint Malachy’s was served by priests from St Mary’s Church, Belfast until the Parish of Saint Malachy was created in 1866 and Fr Geoffrey Brennan, a native of Kilkenny, was appointed Administrator. The first Parish Priest of Saint Malachy’s, a post created in 1909, was Fr Daniel McCashin.
The area of the city around Saint Malachy’s was dramatically re-developed from the early 1980s. That period of urban planning, and the age of the church itself, led to a deterioration in the condition of the brickwork meaning a full scale Restoration Programme which began in January 2008 and was completed in 2009 at a cost of £3,500,000. The interior of the Church was also restored.
The ornate stencilling around the Sanctuary, painted over in the 1950s, was restored as were the Altar Rails and the intricate mosaic floor. The Solemn Re-Opening and Dedication of the Altar was celebrated on 29 March 2009 by the Bishop of Down and Connor Dr Noel Treanor in the presence of the Bishop Emeritus Dr Patrick Walsh.
This was the first time that Saint Malachy’s had been closed for an extended period since the Church was opened in 1844. During the Restoration, Nuptial and Requiem Masses were celebrated in neighbouring Churches.
According to some accounts this was Methodist rather than Presbyterian.
Talbot Street is a city-centre street located on Dublin’s Northside, near to Dublin Connolly railway station. It was laid out in the 1840s and a number of 19th-century buildings still survive.
The street was named in 1821 after Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 2nd Earl Talbot, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, from 1817 to 1821. It was previously called Cope Street North and Moland Street. The Moland family owned large areas of land in the area with the Deverell family, with Deverall Place and Moland Place remaining as extant place names.
No. 78 Talbot Street (on the corner of Moland Place) is the site of the former Welsh Church or Capel Betel, designed by the architect William Murray (1789–1844), it is now a protected structure. It was a chapel for Welsh people visiting the city, with services conducted in Welsh. Established in 1838 (first service on Sunday 4th of November 1838), its ethos was Calvinistic Methodism, and was affiliated to the Anglesea circuit. The Church was often referred to as the Welch Church, Welsh Methodist Church, Welsh Orthodox Church or Welsh Presbyterian Church. An early Chaplain was Rev. William Griffiths. Rev. Edward Jones chaplain from 1865 until 1878, Rev. J.R. Jones 1878 to 1885 and Rev. John Owen served as chaplain from 1885 until 1894. Rev. John Lewis was the church’s minister from 1894 to 1934, he tutored the politician Ernest Blythe, who attended services to study Welsh (as did other members of the Gaelic League). It was decided to close at a meeting in December 1938, the building was let to a Baptist congregation for a short time and then the building was sold in 1944, with proceeds going to churches in Anglesey. The former church has subsequently been a shoe shop (Griffiths), a snooker hall, an amusement arcade, and an Internet cafe.
Clusters of early Victorian brick houses survive, including numbers 12 to 19, 28 to 32, 70 to 71, and 77. Numbers 53, 54, 81 and 82 retain their 1860s stucco fronts. A Victorian pub also remains on the street, at number 74, on the corner of Store Street. The former Moran’s Hotel at number 21 retains its 1923 low, classical frontage. Elements of the exterior of the former AIB branch on the corner of Gardiner Street also survive
I had hoped to locate Crow’s Well but failed to do so.
Sometime in 1891 Mr Fennessey, proprietor of the well-known seed warehouse, High Street, Kilkenny, and of the extensive nurseries convenient to Kilkenny City, leased the long-disused Archersgrove Mill, for the purpose of converting the premises into bone-crushing and linseed cake-crushing mills and perhaps sawmills. At the time it was hoped Fennessy’s enterprise would convert a silent ruin into a busy centre of employment.
The townland of 487 acres on the east of the River Nore was originally called Archerstown. The Archer family were one of the most important Kilkenny families for several hundred years. The Archer’s lands were confiscated after Cromwell conquered Ireland. Archerstown was granted to the Duke of Ormond. He leased the townland to the Waring family and they changed the townsland name to Warrington. In 1864 Warrington Mills was advertised for leasing as: “A good corn mill in good working condition”. The distillery became know as “The Still” and part of the original building remains today.
Fennessy’s Mills, Kilkenny, on the southern bank of the River Nore. ‘post-medieval water mills’. It is recorded as cornmills, named as ‘Archers Mills’, at the time of the Civil Survey of 1654–5. A grant by the earl of Ormonde to William Archer is recorded in 1426. Two stone mills are referred to in 1416, and the Quarryland Mill opposite Fennessy’s is referred to in 1633. In 1850 the mills were owned by Richard Sullivan; however, by 1891 they are described as ‘disused about to be converted to a bone crushing plant’. The mills survive in ruins and contain a weir to the west of the buildings.
Was located at the corner of College Street and Queen Street in Belfast.
Queen Street is in the heart of Belfast City Centre a short walk from City Hall and the main shopping and restaurant areas and this Victorian warehouse was purpose built in 1890 for R Carswell & Son printworks, bookbinders and stationers.
Comprising a large block fronting Queen Street, College Street and College Court, the Victorian red brick warehouse is being restored, and will connect with a new build element, providing seamless floorplates that wrap around a central atrium and cobbled courtyard. The building was purchased by Angus Properties in 2019 and the current extensive refurbishment and restoration will bring the building back to its former glory and ensure its preservation for the next 130 years.
Note: Kellyseye is the leading supplier of bingo tickets, fundraising supplies, scratch and match cards, cleaning and bar supplies to the licensed retail trade in the UK.