PEMBROKE ROAD IN BALLSBRIDGE
The land around Ballsbridge was rural and mostly belonged to the Earl of Pembroke. After the Royal Dublin Society (RDS) moved into its present site near Ballsbridge in 1879, the Earl of Pembroke began to develop these lands into suburban residential housing. The RDS held their first show on their new premises in the early 1880s. In 1903 the lands formerly known as the ‘Forty Acres’ were given to the city by the Earl of Pembroke to establish Herbert Park. (The Earl of Pembroke’s surname was Herbert.) In 1907 the Dublin International Exhibition was held in Herbert Park.