STREET ART ON CAMDEN ROW AND A WARNING FROM DUBLIN FIRE BRIGADE
You don’t want an unexpected visit from this guy.
In the past three years 16 people have dies from preventable home fires in Dublin. Remember, working smoke alarms, having an escape plan and closing all doors at night save lives!
The Dublin Fire Brigade (DFB) is the local authority fire and rescue service and ambulance service for Dublin City and the majority of the Greater Dublin Area. It is a branch of Dublin City Council. There are currently 14 fire stations staffed by DFB, 12 of which are full-time, the other 2 are part-time or “retained”. Full-time stations are staffed by shifts across 4 watches, A, B, C & D. There are currently over 1000 active firefighter/paramedic personnel making it the largest fire service based on personnel and resources in Ireland.
Dublin City’s first municipal fire engines were delivered in 1705. Throughout the second half of the 18th Century, insurance brigades were the primary source of firefighting for the city, operating independently for buildings bearing the mark of their respective insurance companies. Eventually the brigades began to co-operate on a competition basis with the first brigade on scene being the highest paid. It wasn’t until 1862 with the enactment of the Dublin Corporation Act, that the city had an organised fire brigade. Dublin man J.R. Ingram became the first superintendent of the brigade, having worked as a fireman in New York and London. The brigade consisted of 24 men with a makeshift fire brigade station on Winetavern Street in The Liberties. In 1898 the Dublin Fire Brigade Ambulance Service was established. The turn of the century saw the brigade have its first fire stations and permanent headquarters built, with the first motorised fire engine coming on stream in 1909.