THE HAUGHTON VAULT – MOUNT JEROME CEMETERY
A large semi-circular Romanesque arch with three levels of ornate chevron carving enclosing the inscription panel. The pillars have foliated motifs at the base.
“In Loving Remembrance of James Haughton of 35 Eccles Street died 20th of February 1873 in his 78th year … | A follower of Christ he did his best. He was a well known advocate of universal freedom peace and temperance.”
James Haughton (5 May 1795 – 20 February 1873) was an Irish social reformer, temperance activist and vegetarian.
Haughton became a vegetarian in 1846, both on moral and sanitary grounds. For two or three years before his death he was president of the Vegetarian Society of the United Kingdom.
Haughton was born in Carlow and educated at Ballitor, County Kildare. He supported the anti-slavery movement at an early period and took an active part in it until 1838, going in that year to London as a delegate to a convention. Shortly after the Temperance campaigner, Father Mathew, took the pledge, 10 April 1838, Haughton became one of his most devoted disciples. For many years he gave most of his time and energies to promoting total abstinence and to advocating legislative restrictions on the sale of intoxicating drinks.
In December 1844 he was the chief promoter of a fund which was raised to pay some of the debts of Father Mathew and release him from prison.
In association with Daniel O’Connell, of whose character he had a very high opinion, he advocated various plans for the amelioration of the condition of Ireland and the Repeal of the Union, but was always opposed to physical force. He was one of the first members of the Statistical Society of Dublin, 1847, a founder of the Dublin Mechanics’ Institute, 1849, in the same year was on the committee of the Dublin Peace Society, aided in abolishing Donnybrook Fair 1855, and took a chief part in 1861 in opening the Botanic Gardens at Glasnevin on Sundays.
He died at 35 Eccles Street, Dublin, on 20 Feb. 1873, and was buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery 24 Feb. in the presence of an immense crowd of people.