TALBOT’S INCH VILLAGE AND NEARBY – KILKENNY
Talbot’s Inch is a townland in the County of Kilkenny, about one mile north of Kilkenny City. The lands were named after the Norman family of Talbot.
Talbot’s Inch Village was a planned village sponsored by Ellen Odette Desart (née Bischoffsheim), fourth Countess of Desart (1857-1933) as accommodation for workers associated with the Kilkenny Woodworkers Company together with the nearby Greenvale Woollen Mills. Built to designs prepared by William Alphonsus Scott (1871-1921) in a characteristic Arts-and-Crafts style.
Lady Desart would later (1922) be appointed to the first Seanad Éireann, the first Jew to serve as a senator in Ireland, and would also succeed Captain Cuffe as president of the Kilkenny branch of the Gaelic League.