NORTH BELGRAVE SQUARE – CASTLEWOOD AVENUE – UPPER MOUNTPLEASANT AVENUE
Work on Rathmines Town Hall began in 1895 on the site of the previous town hall. The commissioners invited one of the best-known and respected architects of Ireland, Sir Thomas Drew, to design this building. He put up a fine building of red sandstone and brick with a bay window on the first floor. But the most famous feature was the high clock tower, which could be seen from afar.
The clock on the tower was made by a local firm called Chancellor and Son. They claimed they could beat any English or Scottish company so they got the job. The clock has four faces, one for each side of the tower. Before the clock could be run with electricity, the four sides would often show different times so the clock was called ‘four-faced liar’.