O’CONNELL STREET DUBLIN – DECEMBER 2019
O’Connell Street is Dublin’s main thoroughfare. It measures 49 m (54 yds) in width at its southern end, 46 m (50 yds) at the north, and is 500 m (547 yds) in length. During the 17th century it was a narrow street known as Drogheda Street (named after Henry Moore, Earl of Drogheda). It was widened in the late 1700s and renamed Sackville Street (after Lionel Sackville, 1st Duke of Dorset) until 1924, when it was renamed in honour of Daniel O’Connell, a nationalist leader of the early 19th century, whose statue stands at the lower end of the street, facing O’Connell Bridge.
Located in the heart of Dublin city, it forms part of a grand thoroughfare created in the 18th century that runs through the centre of the capital, terminating at City Hall and Dublin Castle. Situated just north of the River Liffey, the street runs close to a north-south orientation.