ST LUKE’S AVENUE AND CORK STREET
The rain became really intense and I had to take shelter in a archway at the New Timber Yard complex on Weaver’s Street.
Cork Street runs from the junction of The Coombe to Donore Avenue.
It was named after the first Earl of Cork and once formed part of the ancient highway “An Slighe Dála” connecting Dublin with the west of Ireland. On old maps it was described as “The Highway to Dolfynesberne” (Dolphin’s Barn).
The street was once a centre of fine wool and silk hand-loom weaving. The woollen industry was killed off around 1700 by the English government, who wanted to keep the wool monopoly in England, although a minor revival was started around 1775. Despite problems, silk spinning and the manufacture of poplin, supported by the Royal Dublin Society, continued into the 19th century.
The Tenter House was erected in 1815 in this street, financed by Thomas Pleasants. Before this the poor weavers of the Liberties had either to suspend work in rainy weather or use the alehouse fire and thus were (as Wright expresses it) “exposed to great distress, and not infrequently reduced either to the hospital or the gaol.” The Tenter House was a brick building 275 feet long, 3 stories high, and with a central cupola. It had a form of central heating powered by four furnaces, and provided a place for weavers to stretch their material in bad weather.
In 1861 a Carmelite priest bought the Tenter House and opened it as a refuge for the homeless. He ran the hostel for ten years until 1871 when the Sisters of Mercy came to Cork Street. In 1873 they built a convent and in 1874 a primary school, which closed down in 1989.
The Cork Street Fever Hospital (also known as the House of Recovery) was a hospital that opened in Cork Street on 14 May 1804. The hospital was extended in 1817-1819 to help cope with a national typhus epidemic. In 1953 the Cherry Orchard Hospital in Ballyfermot replaced the old Cork Street hospital, which was renamed Brú Chaoimhín and became a nursing home.
Across the road from the hospital is the James Weir Home for nurses, built in 1903. The site had once been a Quaker burial ground.
In 1932 the Maryland housing development off Cork Street was constructed by Dublin Corporation. 1932 was a Marian year, hence the name Maryland.
During the mid 20th century, there were plans to widen the road into a dual carriageway, leading to buildings being left to fall into decay while the threat of compulsory purchase orders seemed possible. The street was totally reconstructed towards the end of the 20th century. It is now a mostly residential area.
St Luke’s Church was closed to the public in 1975. The church was built between 1715 and 1716 but suffered a fire in 1986.
Behind the church was a small cemetery. Among those interred there was Mr. Justice Hellen, second Judge of the Court of Common Pleas in Ireland, who died in 1793. Also buried here were the family of famous publisher Alexander Thom. The relief road leading to Cork St., built 1980-2000, cut through the old cemetery.
In 1994, Dublin City Council purchased the site and the graveyard was divided in two by a new road. What is now St Luke’s Avenue cut through the “Northern Graveyard” of the church. In November 2017, JJ Rhatigan completed a €3.25m 13-month restoration and repurposing of the 17th century Huguenot Church into a three-storey modern state of the art office, with two floors suspended from the roof truss structure within the walls of the 300-year old Church.
Last update on 2023-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API