I MAY HAVE FOUND ANOTHER MARIAN STATUE ON NEWMARKET STREET – WEAVER’S STREET
I had to shelter in an archway at the new Timberyard Building, featuring a religious statue, on Weaver’s Street for about an hour because of really heavy rain but when it stopped what I photographed was much more interesting because of the strong light and dark skies.
When I returned home I decided to check if there was a story associated with the statue which struck me as being unusual. After much time and effort I discovered that it replaced a statue that was located on what had been derelict site, the old timber yard, for more than a decade before the current complex was built.
Apparently the planning permission required the original statue to be retained within the new complex but, as is usually the case, it went missing so a replacement was found and installed behind a window with a kneeling step outside. I could not establish if the original had been a 1954 Marian statue of which there are about thirty throughout the city. Someone kindly supplied me with a booklet showing most of them but this one was not included.
Weaver’s Hall was located on The Coombe Dublin and although the building is long gone, there is still a lot of evidence of the once major industry that existed in the area over a 1,000 year timespan. The most obvious are various place-names. Weavers Street, Weaver’s Square off Cork Street, and the adjacent Ormond Street commemorated both the Huguenot weavers who settled here in great numbers from the late 1600’s and the man who invited them over, the Duke of Ormond. Nearby Newmarket was constructed in the 1670’s by the Earl of Meath in response to this rapidly growing industry, to facilitate trade in wool, hides and flax and also the finished products. The Earl also included space for his own market, and this added to the unique shape and layout of Newmarket, still with us today.
[1 of 13 photographs]
- Chunky Over The Knee Boots: Boots Use New wedge square heels,special design for ladies who can not stand on stiletto
- the boots ware comfortable like flats,fit running and long time walking.
- heels high: 3 1/8 IN and 2 IN,Transparent colored heel, high heel 2 Inch.
- back zipper up ,very easy pull on.cushion Latex footbed offer all-day comfort,fit long time walking.
- N.N.G Brand women's shoes simple fashion and comfortable ankle boots,special design for women who can not stand on stilettos.comfortable enjoy your fashion!
Last update on 2022-11-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API