LUKE WADDING PHOTOGRAPHED IN WATERFORD CITY – THE MAN RESPONSIBLE FOR ST. PATRICKS DAY
Currently this figure of Luke Wadding is located at the entrance to the French Church, on Greyfriars in Waterford City.
Luke Wadding, O.F.M. (16 October 1588 – 18 November 1657), was an Irish Franciscan friar and historian. Through Wadding’s efforts, St Patrick’s Day became a feast day.
In the 1950 this statue of Wadding was erected on the Mall in Waterford. However more recently Luke’s statue was replaced by one of Thomas Francis Meagher the American Civil War hero.