HAROLD’S CROSS PARK 1JULY 2022
Harold’s Cross Park is at the centre of Harold’s Cross in south Dublin. The park has a Victorian layout as well as a playground and tearooms.
Because of huge increases in price I have cancelled my city visits that had been scheduled for June, July and August and instead I am photographing the towns, villages and local areas of Dublin using an Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max. However thinks are not going as well as I have hoped because of rain. Today I visited Harold’s Cross but I had to cut short my visit because of rain and an unattractive grey sky.
Harold’s Cross got its name from a cross that marked the boundary of the lands owned by the archbishop of Dublin and the lands of the wild Harold Clan from Rathfarnham hundreds of years ago. The cross was probably located somewhere near the present junction at Kenilworth Road. The Celtic Cross at the northern tip of the park was erected in 1954.
The green in Harold’s Cross, which is now Harold’s Cross Park, is visible on many of the oldest maps of the area. The archbishop maintained a gallows on the green which helped to keep the Harold Clan at bay. Later, the gallows were replaced with a maypole and this became the centre of dancing and festivities each May, until the practice ceased around the middle of the 19th Century.
In 1890 the Harold’s Cross Improvement Association was formed, and three years later they persuaded the Rathmines’ and Rathgar commissioners to purchase the three acre green from the Irish Land Commission for five shillings. Local businesses contributed £500 toward the creation of a new park.
The park was designed by Mr William Sheppard, the eminent landscape gardener of the time, who is also credited with the design of St. Stephen’s Green and Palmerston Park. Assisted by his son William Junior the park was completed in two months. It officially opened on 1st May 1894.
- NONSTICK KITCHEN ESSENTIALS INCLUDED: 8” Fry pan, 10” Fry pan, 10” square Griddle pan, 5-Quart Dutch oven with lid, 4-Quart deep sauté pan with lid, 2 Quart saucepan with lid, stainless steel steamer basket, bamboo turner, and spoon. All lids are made with tempered glass with a vent.
- HEALTHIER NONSTICK COOKING: This pots and pans set boasts a durable, diamond reinforced, non-stick coating that allows food to easily slide out of the pan without adding extra oils. Manufactured without PFOA. Ergonomic, comfortable grip handles make it easy to maneuver.
- WATCH YOUR FOOD AS IT COOKS - The transparent, tempered glass lid allows you to monitor your food as it cooks without having to interrupt cooking. The lid vent releases excess steam and pressure helping prevent accidental spillovers while still locking in all the moisture and flavors in your food.
- DISHWASHER SAFE SIMPLIFIES CLEAN-UP: So long elbow grease, wrinkled fingers, and rigorous scrubbing due to tough, stuck-on food, this set is dishwasher safe. We do suggest hand washing the bamboo utensils to keep them in tip top shape.
- GIFTABLE KITCHEN COOKWARE SETS FOR EVERYONE: Share the comfort, durability, and ease of healthy cooking by gifting this set. Great for airbnb hosts, college essentials, apartment essentials, new home, first home, or wedding gifts. Available in 3 colors to match any home or kitchen decor.
Last update on 2023-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API