22 AUGUST 2022
Essex Street was established in 1674, and named after Arthur Capel, the Earl of Essex and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland at the time.
Exchange Street [originally Chequer Street] Upper and Lower were named due to the fact that they led on to the Royal Exchange, now the City Hall, and were formerly known as Blind Quay Upper and Lower
Parliament Street was created in the early 1760s by the Wide Streets Commission to open up a direct route to Dublin Castle with retail buildings on either side. It was the first project to be undertaken by the Commission, created after an Act of Parliament, and was the origin of the name. The Act allowed for the land and associated houses to be purchased for £12,000 to create the new street.