MARROWBONE LANE AFTER AN INTENSE RAIN STORM 26 JUNE 2022
The lane is named after Marylebone in London; Pimlico is located right next to it, and other London-inspired street names are nearby, like Spitalfields. These were brought to Dublin by London wool-workers, who settled in the area after William III’s conquest of Ireland in 1690.
Marylebone, London, commonly pronounced like “Marrow-bone”, is named after the church of St Mary at the Bourne, later corrupted to “Mary le Bone”, Middle French for “Mary the Good.” The Irish street name reproduces this error, literally meaning “Lane of Mary the Good.” By 1743, the street name was corrupted to Marrowbone Lane.
Marrowbone Lane is notable for what the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage describes as an “elegant early social housing scheme”, designed by Dublin Corporation’s Housing Architect Herbert George Simms, and built in the late 1930s, with curved corners that respond to the curve of Marrowbone Lane. “It is an excellent example of early modernist architecture which employed materials historically used in the area. H.G. Simms was housing architect to Dublin Corporation from 1932 until 1948. During his time in office, Simms was responsible for the design of some 17,000 new homes.”
The street is known for the fierce fighting that took place on it during the Easter Rising of 1916. The distillery on this street was used as a strongpoint by a force of more than a hundred rebels under the command of Éamonn Ceannt, which also held the nearby South Dublin Union.
Ceannt was executed by the British authorities after the rising’s failure. His second-in-command was Cathal Brugha, and other participants who achieved later prominence in one way or another were W. T. Cosgrave, Joseph McGrath and Denis O’Brien.
- ✿ The material is super soft rayon fabric, stretchy, breathable and comfortable. Perfect for dress up or down. Super comfy and versatile depending on the accessories you pair it with.
- ✿ This casual summer dress is features with sleeveless, square neck dress, floral print,two side pockets, knee length dress for women, maternity dress, casual dresses for women, cocktail dresses, bridesmaid dresses.
- ✿ The dress is comfortable,the pockets are a major plus and it can be dressed up for work or dressed more casually.You can wear it to a wedding, beach, work, dinner,date night, outdoor concert, clubwear, cocktail, holiday and daily life. Perfect for Spring, Summer and Autumn
- ✿ This is a very flattering, soft and comfortable dress. The length comes right above the knee. Machine wash or hand wash in cold water.Do not bleach and hang dry.
- ✿ Size Notice:Before order,please read the SIZE Chart Picture in the left carefully or the Product Measurements in the Product Description Below.
Last update on 2023-03-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You must be logged in to post a comment.