ST AUDOENS PARK AND TWO CHURCHES WITH THE SAME NAME
St. Audoen’s park lies beside St. Audoen’s Church which was built in 1300 A.D. It is the only remaining parish church from that time. The church is dedicated to St Ouen, the 7th century bishop of Rouen and patron saint of Normandy.
The park features Dublin’s original stone walls (1100 A.D.), the last surviving entrance to the old city and Fagan’s Gate which was named after the nearby Fagan’s Tower.
St Audoen’s Church is the church of the parish of Saint Audoen in the Church of Ireland, located south of the River Liffey at Cornmarket in Dublin, Ireland. This was close to the centre of the medieval city. The parish is in the Diocese of Dublin and Glendalough. St Audoen’s is the oldest parish church in Dublin and still used as such. There is a Roman Catholic church of the same name adjacent to it.
Fagan’s castle and gate were situated in Page’s Court, a passage between Cornmarket and Cook Street within the old Dublin City Walls. Fagan’s Castle stood there until 1788. They may have been named after the Fagans of Feltrim. Feltrim, near Malahide, was the site of their ancestral residence. Their burial place in the 16th and 17th centuries was at St. Audeon’s Church within the old city walls
You must be logged in to post a comment.