THEY INSISTED ON BEING PHOTOGRAPHED AS A PAIR
The Crosse’s Green area is one of the most historic areas in the city. The Dominican priory of St Mary’s of the Isle was established here in 1229. In later centuries the area was a hive of industrial activity. Brewing, distilling, inshore fishing, and milling were dominant enterprises and timber yards were also established. With the decline of the industries in the late nineteen seventies the Crosse’s Green area became quite shabby and run-down and featured some excellent examples of street art.
The opening of the South Bank office complex and Dean’s Hall student-apartment complex in 1994 revitalised the area to some extent.
Crosse’s Green is also home to Meitheal Mara, a group devoted to researching the history of the Irish currach.