FATHER MATHEW MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN AT FITZGERALD’S PARK
Designed by Henry Cutler and constructed by local builder J. Hegarty. Together with the President’s and Lord Mayor’s Pavilion, and the entrance gates, it forms part of a significant group comprising the only surviving structures associated with the Cork Exhibitions of 1902 and 1903.
Freestanding fountain, built c.1900, comprising four decreasing bowls, having straight sides to lower two levels, curved edges to third level bowl, and later cast-iron bowl with curved edges supported on moulded shaft to top level. Celtic Revival detailing to bowls, including interlacing strapwork, stylised mask, knotwork, etc. Inscription in Gaelic font reading ‘Father Mathew Memorial Fountain’. Now set in centre of pond.