GOLDENBRIDGE CEMETERY GET OFF AT THE DRIMNAGH TRAM STOP RATHER THAN THE GOLDENBRIDGE STOP
I must admit that I was more surprised by the fact that I could access the cemetery as the gates are generally locked because of anti-social actives [real or exaggerated].
I am reluctant to be seen with my cameras in the area along the Grand Canal between Fatima and Blackhorse and I am aware that many people get upset when I make such claims but in general the same people have little or no knowledge of the area. Of course, one needs to avoid any exaggeration of the the issue. If you are a tourist please ensure that you are part of a group.
Today, I decided to use an iPhone and immediately on arrival at the Fatima stop I overheard three middle aged men saying look at the old man with his camera [polite version] … that was a serious red flag even though the people in question posed no threat.
Goldenbridge Cemetery is a Roman Catholic garden cemetery located in Inchicore, Dublin, Ireland.
Under the Penal Laws, Irish Catholics could only be buried in Church of Ireland (Anglican) cemeteries, and the full graveside rites could not be performed — only prayers from the (Anglican) Book of Common Prayer were permitted. Catholic emancipation came in the 1820s, and the three acres at Goldenbridge, purchased by the Catholic Association for £600, formed the first Catholic cemetery in Ireland since the Reformation. The first burial took place on 15 October 1828. A mortuary chapel in the form of a Roman temple was erected in 1829.
The cemetery was placed provocatively [?] next to Richmond Barracks, a British Army installation. Complaints by the 92nd Regiment of Foot about noise and commotion caused by funeral processions passing their barracks led to a hearing by the Privy Council of Ireland. Abraham Brewster, Lord Chancellor of Ireland, limited future interments to those with burial rights only. Glasnevin Cemetery opened in 1832.
Mass burials took place during the Great Famine (1845–49) and during a cholera epidemic of 1867.
Until 2017, the last burial was of W. T. Cosgrave in 1965, first President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State. His grave, along with 26 others, were vandalised in 2014 but restored in 2016. On 4 October 2017, the son of W. T. Cosgrave, Liam Cosgrave, who had been Taoiseach from 1973 to 1977 died, and was subsequently buried in the family plot at Goldenbridge on 7 October 2017.
The cemetery now forms part of a tourist attraction with nearby Richmond Barracks.
- 11-PIECE GARDENING SET: This essential all-in-one gardening set includes a large trowel, small trowel, hand rake, cultivator, weeder, pruning shears, 100ft gardening rope, handheld sprayer, digging claw gardening gloves, pruning snips, and an Oxford cloth tote to keep all your tools packed away and organized so you can prune, dig, weed, aerate, and plant to perfection.
- RUST RESISTANT: Seven rust-proof hand tools are made out of indestructible cast-aluminum and are treated with an ultra-fine polishing technology that guarantees corrosion resistance for incredibly tough, sharp, and durable tools that will last a lifetime. Each tool comes with a handy hanging hole on the handle for easy storage.
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE TOOLS: Each tool has an ergonomically made soft handle, fashioned from high-quality TRP, that fits comfortably in small and large hands, on top of that, they’re intuitively designed to provide plenty of leverage and save you effort and strain when planting, weeding, and digging. If you prefer to use your hands, wear the digging claw gardening gloves to plant, weed, and rose prune – without needing other tools for easy storage.
- PREMIUM STORAGE TOTE BAG: Rugged garden tool bag is the ultimate organizer, made of extra-sturdy 600D Oxford cloth, it’s an easy-to-clean tote that resists tears and protects your gear; pack your tools in the deep pockets, each with an elastic cord, to effortlessly carry to and from your garden.
- MUCH-LOVED GIFT: Your garden-obsessed friend, wife, husband, parents and grandparents will greatly appreciate this 11-in-1 gardening tool set on their birthday, anniversary, Valentine’s Day, Christmas, and any other cause for celebration; if you need any advice or product support, please contact our excellent customer service team who will happily respond to your query within 8 hours.
Last update on 2023-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API