THE MAYNOOTH POUND AND THE LYREEN RIVER
The existing walls were built in 1822 although the pound is older than that
Maynooth has a very rare example of a surviving Pound which has been mapped since the 18th Century. It is at the junction of Pound Street and Mill Street, on the bank of the Lyreen River and opposite the modern Manor Mills Shopping Centre.
Wandering animals were “impounded” by the authorities and placed in the designated Town or Village Pound, where they had to be maintained for a designated time, pending reclamation by the owner. If not reclaimed, the impounded animal was then sold by public auction when maintenance expenses were defrayed and any money balance transferred to the Authorities.