THE PORTERHOUSE NORTH – SEPTEMBER 2013 IT IS NOW THE BERNARD SHAW
The Porterhouse was located in a former garage associated with Iona Airways. Iona National Airways was Ireland’s first commercial airline and it was established in 1931 by Hugh Cahill as the aviation wing of his motor company “Iona” located at Cross Guns Bridge. Many factors led to the liquidation of Iona National Airways Limited in 1995, having flown its last flight on 14 December 1994.
About three years later the Porterhouse North went through a major transformation and reopened as the Whitworth Dining & Bar offering food with a great selection of craft beers, wines and cocktails.
Last year Trevor O’Shea’s Bodytonic group has taken over the Porterhouse Whitworth, at Cross Guns Bridge, and when the Bernard Shaw in South Richmond street closed in October 2019 it was transferred to the Porterhouse site.