THE PEOPLE’S PARK [WATERFORD CITY NEAR THE COURTHOUSE]
The People’s Park is the largest public park in Waterford city. Opened out over a century ago, its 6.6 hectares (16.3 acres) comprise the foremost public green space in the city. It is located at the junction of the Park Road and William Street.The current site of the People’s Park was originally a marshland which John’s River ran through, however in 1857 the river was diverted and the marshland drained to make way for the construction of the park.
The park contains a Victorian-era bandstand, a cycle track, a children’s playground, a spherical monument and water feature and an old painted iron bridge connecting the park to the grounds of the Court House. The park has been renovated and upgraded in recent years.
The old caretaker’s house has been carefully renovated and a small extension has been added with a cafe called the Park Lodge now occupying the structure. A baby’s playground area has also been built. On 12 July 2006, €1 million funding was announced to continue refurbishment. Perhaps the most important element of the aforementioned refurbishment was the inclusion of a skateboarding park which is now operational.