THE NEW COURTHOUSE IN WATERFORD IS LOCATED BESIDE THE PEOPLE’S PARK [OPENED IN APRIL 2018]
The refurbished building is based on the original courthouse, which dates back to 1849 when it was designed by J B Keane.
During construction, the remains of an early medieval graveyard were discovered on the former fire station site to the rear of the courthouse building. It appears to be associated with St Catherine’s Abbey – a 12th century settlement which is believed to have been located on what is now Catherine Street.
Here is a description of the building prior to it being refurbished: “A fine, imposing Classical-style courthouse, built to designs prepared by John B. Keane (d. 1859), which is of significance as one of the largest-scale civic buildings in the locality. Apparently disused by the late twentieth century, over-zealous renovation works carried out to reuse the building have detracted considerably from the original design, comprising an inappropriate infill return, while the interior retains little of its original form, with the exception of the entrance hall. Nevertheless, the original form of the courthouse remains discernible to the exterior, dominated by an impressive portico, and the construction and reserved detailing attest to high quality local stone masonry and craftsmanship. The courthouse remains an important component of the architectural heritage of Waterford City.”