MONKSTOWN AND SALTHILL – DUN LAOGHAIRE COUNTY DUBLIN
Monkstown, historically known as Carrickbrennan, is a suburb in south Dublin, located in Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown, Ireland. It is on the coast, between Blackrock and Dún Laoghaire.
The lands of the Carrickbrennan estate form the greater part of the civil parish of Monkstown.
Monkstown has two old established churches, Saint Mary’s Church of Ireland (1831) and Saint Patrick’s Catholic Church (1866), both on Carrickbrennan Road. Saint John’s Church, located at Gamble’s Hill, was originally constructed as a Church of Ireland Church in the 1860s but was renovated and re-consecrated by the Society of Saint Pius X after 1985. Buildings of other religious denominations include the Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah’s Witnesses at Monkstown Farm, and the Meeting Hall of the Society of Friends at the junction of Packenham Road and Carrickbrennan Road. There is also the Friends Burial Ground (Quaker) located at Temple Hill just off Monkstown Road.
Monkstown Castle, which was probably built in the 12th or 13th centuries, was erected by the monks of the abbey of the Virgin Mary, near Dublin.
Monkstown is also noted for its coastline, which is home to a number of historical buildings of the Victorian, Georgian and Edwardian periods. One of the most notable buildings of the Salthill and Monkstown area is a Martello Tower, located at Seapoint beach.
Salthill is the seaside part of Monkstown and is the location of the local commuter rail station. Salthill was the location of an upmarket hotel designed by J.S. Mulvany for the Dublin & Kingstown Railway Co., in 1836 but not actually constructed until 1843. The hotel was extended in the 1860s by John McCurdy. Unfortunately the hotel was destroyed by fire in 1970 and demolished in 1972.