PHOTOGRAPHED 22 JULY 2022
DIT Grangegorman campus is approximately 4 mins walk from Grangegorman stop
The Green Line is one of the two lines of Dublin’s Luas light rail system. The Green Line was formerly entirely in the south side of Dublin city. It mostly follows the route of the old Harcourt Street railway line, which was reserved for possible re-use when it closed in 1958. The Green Line allows for passenger transfers at O’ Connell GPO and Marlborough to Luas Red Line services and also allows commuters to use Broombridge as an interchange station to reach outer suburbs such as Castleknock and Ongar.
The Green Line from St Stephen’s Green to Sandyford launched on 30 June 2004. An extension to the Bride’s Glen stop at Cherrywood was opened on 16 October 2010.
As of 2018, the Green line is operating at near maximum capacity during the morning and evening rush hours, and it experiences mass overcrowding and congestion at these times. To assist in alleviating this congestion, seven new longer trams came into service in 2018, with a further eight entering service in 2020. Platforms between St Stephen’s Green and Sandyford have been lengthened to accommodate the new trams.