JAMES JOYCE BRIDGE ACROSS THE RIVER LIFFEY
The first edition of Ulysses, by James Joyce, was published a hundred years ago.
Ulysses is a modernist novel by Irish writer James Joyce. It was first serialised in parts in the American journal The Little Review from March 1918 to December 1920 and then published in its entirety in Paris by Sylvia Beach on 2 February 1922, Joyce’s 40th birthday. It is considered one of the most important works of modernist literature and has been called “a demonstration and summation of the entire movement.” According to Declan Kiberd, “Before Joyce, no writer of fiction had so foregrounded the process of thinking”.
Ulysses chronicles the appointments and encounters of the itinerant Leopold Bloom in Dublin in the course of an ordinary day, 16 June 1904. Ulysses is the Latinised name of Odysseus, the hero of Homer’s epic poem the Odyssey, and the novel establishes a series of parallels between the poem and the novel, with structural correspondences between the characters and experiences of Bloom and Odysseus, Molly Bloom and Penelope, and Stephen Dedalus and Telemachus, in addition to events and themes of the early 20th-century context of modernism, Dublin, and Ireland’s relationship to Britain. The novel is highly allusive and also imitates the styles of different periods of English literature.
Since its publication, the book has attracted controversy and scrutiny, ranging from an obscenity trial in the United States in 1921 to protracted textual “Joyce Wars”. The novel’s stream of consciousness technique, careful structuring, and experimental prose—replete with puns, parodies, and allusions—as well as its rich characterisation and broad humour have led it to be regarded as one of the greatest literary works in history; Joyce fans worldwide now celebrate 16 June as Bloomsday.
- High Quality: The handbag is made of vegan leather by professional craftsmen. Pure color design, silver hardware, these make this hobo bag more stylish. Metal magnetic buckle closure for extra security.
- Dimensions: (L)9.45" x (W)5.51" x (H)11.81". Handle drop is 11.61 inch, long enough on your shoulder. Also come with a long adjustable shoulder strap (49.5" in length) for more carrying options: Single Shoulder/ Cross-body.
- Structure: Internal structure is one main compartment including 1 main pocket,1 inner zipper pocket , 2 slip pockets, one of which is a cell phone pocket and one is a ID card slot. External structure including 2 side slip pockets and 2 metal magnetic buckle pocket that one in the front and the other in the back.
- Design: Hobo style, bucket bag. Two shoulder straps, one of them is leather, one is woven, you can according to your liking more change strap style! The adjustable long strap can be used as a single shoulder strap or crossbody.
- After-service -- BROMEN provides our customers with prompt responses and best after-sales services, aiming to solve any issues when using our products. If there is any question or concern, please contact us and leave message that we always respond within 24 hours.
Last update on 2022-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API