FISHAMBLE STREET NEAR CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL
In the 18th century, a tavern on the street, the Bull’s Head, was one of the most popular and well-known establishments in Dublin, and was in demand for anniversary and celebratory dinners by the various city guilds and bodies. It also provided accommodation for assemblies of the Grand Lodge of Irish Freemasons. The Bull’s Head Musical Society was also well known and undertook the building of a Music Hall which was formally opened in 1741.
The street is famous as the site of the first performance of Handel’s Messiah, which took place in the aforementioned Music Hall on 13 April 1742 before an audience of approximately 700 people. A pub further up on Thomas Street was known as G. F. Handel’s before changing its name to Arthur’s. Fishamble Street is also home to Darkey Kelly’s, a well known Dublin music pub. It was named after Dorcas Kelly, who ran a popular brothel in the street in the 1750s and was executed for murder in 1761.
You must be logged in to post a comment.