PHOTOGRAPHED 18 NOVEMBER 2022
Sherrard Street Upper was named after Thomas Sherrard, surveyor and clerk of the Wide Streets Commission, who laid out the terrace in the 1820s on land which had previously been part of the Gardiner Estate.
Sherrard, Thomas (c.1750–1837), surveyor and planner, was born to parents whose names are not known. In March 1789 he became the first salaried official of the commission; he was described as clerk or secretary, as well as surveyor, and in addition to administrative tasks, carried out a great deal of work on the ground. His responsibilities included surveying and mapmaking, laying out building plots, ascertaining levels, supervising work, and valuing new properties. He became a property developer and Sherrard Street was one of his private projects.