THE VIKING HOUSE AT THE BOTANIC GARDENS
The Viking House came about as a project to mark the millennium of the Battle of Clontarf in 1014.
It was built between January and May 2014 by master craftsman Eoin Donnelly and thatched by Peter Compton.
In 1961 excavations in the region of Wood Quay and Fishamble Street in Dublin revealed the perfectly preserved remains of Viking Dublin, dating from the 9th and 10th centuries. The building is an accurate recreation of one of these first Dublin houses based upon the archaeological evidence.
In Viking Age Dublin each house had a fence and a long plot of land in which they probably kept chickens and grew vegetables, fibre and dye plants. We know they ate a lot of wheat and barley as well as growing cabbages, beans and onions.
Large quantities of bones from cattle sheep and pigs, as well as fish and shellfish from Dublin bay meant they had a healthy and varied diet.