BRONZE STATUE OF PATRICK SARSFIELD IN THE GROUNDS OF SAINT JOHN’S CATHEDRAL IN LIMERICK
Bronze statue of Patrick Sarsfield on a limestone pedestal, erected in 1881, standing close to the street in the front lawn of the presbytery of Saint John’s Cathedral.
Engraved to front: ‘To commemorate the indomitable energy and stainless honour of General Patrick Sarsfield Earl of Lucan the heroic defender of Limerick during the seiges of 1690 and 1691 died from the effects of wounds received at the Battle of Landen 1693. This site was granted by the Right Revd. George Butler Lord Bishop of Limerick to the trustees. Ambrose Hall J.P. Robert W.O’Brien William Spillane J.P.’
Inscribed to the side: ‘This memorial was inaugurated by the reformed corporation in 1841. Lay dormant with some spasmodic attempts at resusitation until 1875 when the Mayor of that year Ambrose Hall J.P. took the matter up and continued such brought to completion.’
The statue was designed by John Lawlor (1820-1901) of Dublin and cast in Young’s London Art Foundry. The statue followed a sketch made by a local artist, Henry O’Shea. It is an animated good quality bronze statue befitting Sarsfield’s distinguished career, it is a good example of its time and exemplifies the Victorian fashion for commemorating historic figures. The statue was executed with flare and enthusiasm. The seventeenth-century costume is playfully exaggerated with the flamboyant knee-high boots with their buckles and wide tops, the large cuffs, the length of the fastenings on the flying coat and the ringletted hair.