AN EXAMPLE OF DUBLIN STREET ART IN THE FORM OF A LARGE MURAL ON AUNGIER STREET
Aungier Street is a street on the southside of Dublin, Ireland. It runs north-south as a continuation of South Great George’s Street. Unfortunately both South Great Georges Street and Aungier have suffered from neglect for decades despite the fact that both have much potential.
Formerly this area was waste ground near the Dublin Carmelite Friary. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the monastery’s lands were granted to the Aungier family.
The street was named after the family of Francis Aungier, 1st Baron Aungier of Longford who developed the street. His name is French and is correctly pronounced [on.ʒje], but modern Dubliners pronounce the street name to rhyme with “danger.” When the street was opened in 1661, it was 70 feet (21 m) wide, the widest in the city.
Edward Lovett Pearce designed a theatre for the street, built 1733–34 and merged with the Smock Alley Theatre in 1743.[
St. Peter’s Church (Church of Ireland) opened in 1685; it closed 1950 and was demolished in 1983.
The poet Thomas Moore was born at 12 Aungier Street in 1779.
In 1829, Aungier Street was the site of the first meeting-room of what would become the Plymouth Brethren.[
The Irish republican Simon Donnelly was born on Aungier Street in 1891.
During the Irish War of Independence, it was suggested that Aungier Street (and several others) would be joined to form Cahirmore Road, named for the legendary king Cathair Mór.
In 1851, Sheridan Le Fanu wrote a ghost story, “An Account of Some Strange Disturbances in Aungier Street.”
Aungier Street appears twice in the work of James Joyce: it is mentioned in “Ivy Day in the Committee Room;” while Leopold Bloom’s blinds were purchased at 16 Aungier Street in Ulysses.
You must be logged in to post a comment.