A QUICK WALK ALONG AUGHRIM STREET
Aughrim Street is in Stoneybatter an area of Dublin.
The area, often referred to as Cowtown, was at a particular time in history on the edge of the city of Dublin and was the ideal location for the city’s cattle market.
Dublin Corporation had been holding a cattle market in Smithfield, but with the increase in the city’s population and the growth of the cattle export business, Smithfield proved to be too small. In 1863, the market was relocated to the open spaces on the North Circular Road. A number of fine houses were built in the area by successful cattle dealers and at the same time over 250 large houses were built for the ‘professional classes’.